Monday, December 14, 2020

Abhi online



Abhijata Iyengar taught online for 4 days to honour the 102nd years birth anniversary (14 December) of Yogacharya BKS Iyengar (December 11 - 14). This was a welcome mini-intensive, as morning sessions were each two hours long.

Since it isn't possible to get direct feedback on how you are doing the asana in such popular sessions, there is actually all the more incentive to look within.

Am I pushing myself enough / too much?
What is my alignment?
How can I do this pose for my shoulder? My elbow? My hip?
How can I do this pose for my mind?

To help illustrate poses she had several 'models' that were demonstrating in the spotlight, sometimes with modifications.  A familiar body was Raya, who I was able to take in-person classes with at Yoga Centre Toronto, in previous years. He looked well.

This didn't feel like a presentation to a crowd, yet  the number of people in the sessions was 500 - 900 people, depending on the day. It is interesting that there can be a sense of such strong connection. I think it probably helps the production value is not too slick, and to observe the challenges they are facing trying to make their broadcasts around the world, struggling with Zoom as so many of us do.

I may never actually get to Pune, but I did get to see the facility where BKS taught and practised for so many years. (Previous sessions offered by Abhi and Preshant were in smaller spaces.)

Hoping there are more sessions to come in the future!






 


No comments: