Friday, December 4, 2020

NO! If, ands or buts

Definitely I am fortunate, having secure employment during these times that provides not only income but a sense of purpose. Connections to friends and family. I do count my blessings and express gratitude daily. Still, Covid has been tough. No ifs ands or buts about it.

I haven't heard that expression for awhile. I know NO is meant to say ifs ands and buts aren't allowed, but it is often healthy to shift our thinking and look at situations in different ways. I've even heard musings that we'll all look back on these times and grow nostaligic.

Right now though. Ugh. NO!!! Lockdown again. 

Toronto moved into another lockdown November 23 of at least 28 days, taking us to to at least December 21. 

Really????!!! 8.5 months of social isolation and now back into the grey zone that limits personal contact to the immediate household and public gatherings to just 10. Only essential businesses remain open. The restrictions are devastating to many. 

I allowed myself to wallow for more than a few days as I don't want to pretend everything is fine and Covid is just a minor inconvenience. Denial can actually be a great coping strategy sometimes but right now I am choosing to discipline myself to start looking again for silver linings. 

SHIF

AND Yes, so much of the situation sucks BUT it's not all bad AND some  changes have resulted that would be good to keep in my life ahead.

Build that resiliency. Nurture post traumatic growth.

These last 8.5 months have been trying in many ways and I can't wait for many aspects to come to an end. BUT the situation has also shifted priorities AND  there are things I've embraced that I want to continue doing when this whole mess is over.

A deeper appreciation for family and friends. Not just when we are together, but wondering what they are up to and wishing them well.

Virtual connections don't replace in-person human interaction, but they are better than none. Now I enjoy weekly family Zoom calls with my siblings, yoga sessions with teachers all over the world, and online music collaborations. Masterclasses and free online classes from Harvard. Virtual uke jams. Working from home.

No commute! I haven't had to use an alarm clock in more than 8 months; I just wake wake up naturally. The time saved amounts to 2-3 hours every work day, not spent sniffing armpits on the subway or waiting for buses. Not having to endure this daily torture may be the best outcome of the pandemic for me. How did I put up with it for so many years?

Slow food. No need to focus on meals that come together in 30 minutes or less. Stews, roasted vegetables, sour dough... no need to rush. A slower pace in general.

Day trips Since taking the boat out of the water, we've taken day trips to Hamilton's Albion Falls, Collective Arts Brewery, and Fergus' covered bridge... there's still lots more to explore within an easy drive. Social distancing but not totally locked down.

Home improvements I'm not sure we would have taken on so many home improvement projects these months if we hadn't been homebound. I am appreciating all the comforts of home and views of my back garden. Of course, it isn't lost on me that we are trying to control what we can inside our home environment to make up for all that we can't control that's going on outside. The improvements we've made will be enjoyed for years to come.

Local walks have helped me appreciate my neighbourhood more, with it's easy access to trails and paths into Taylor Creek park. Lots of homes en route have cute Little Libraries on front lawns, so I have found  a way to deal with the overflow on my bookshelves. So many tidy front lawns and a few inspiring pollinator gardens. Neighbours and kindred spirits out and about and walking along the sidewalks and pathways. People nodding and smiling to each other, after all, we're in this together.

...............

No comments: