Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Cold Moon: December 2022

Well, I have vines clinging to the brick walls of my little house that's perched on a ravine; and my garden is dormant to overwinter. I'm already nostalgic for those warm summer nights. Now it is a cold plunge to open my front door and look up at the Cold moon in the night sky. 


 

A Nameless Woman

by No Cj'onmyhong

I wish to be a nameless woman
way out on a small hillside.
With gourd-vines on the roof of my cottage,
pumpkins and cucumbers in a hemp-garden,
the moon invited into my yard
over a fence made of roses,
and my arms full of stars;
the owl-hooting dark will not make me lonely.

In a village where the train never stops,
eating millet-cake soaked in a rass basin,
talking with a close friend until late at night
about the secrets of the fox-haunted mountains,
while a shaggy dog barks at the moon,
I shall be happier than a queen.


Translated by Ko Won.
This poem is presumed to be in public domain.


No Ch'onmyhong (1912 - 1957), also known as Noh Cheonmyeong, was a South Korean poet, journalist, and lecturer who published several collections of poems. During the Korean War, No was convicted of being involved in anti-government activities and was sentenced to twenty years in jail, but served only six months.

No comments: