Saturday, October 1, 2022

Fall planting notes

Native Plants in Claremont was having a sale, it was a beautiful fall day and perfect for a drive. They had prickly pear! 

I came home with a flat full of treasures.

Two prickly pear, one cardinal flower, one thimbleweed and one bergamot for the front pollinator garden.

I've wanted a prickly pear for quite awhile. A neighbour has one down the street and I noticed it on my walks throughout the different seasons. Getting the two of them in the ground, they were indeed a prickly pair, as little thorns poked their way through my heavy cotton gloves.

In the back: wood poppy beside the juniper; evening primrose beside the pond; yarrow by the feeder; marginal wood fern in the ravine; broad-leafed sedge at the edge of the backyard; and another jack in the pulpit.

wood poppy
evening primrose


Other changes

I gifted the OSO Italian Ice rose to Alex and Penny. It's a great specimen, such easy care and beautiful colour, but I didn't notice any pollinators buzzing.

Ripped out all the lily of the valley. The pulmonaria (lungwort) will take its place. I had controlled the plant in a dense thicket, but it was still placed dangerously close to the ravine. A group of volunteers formed the Toronto Nature Stewards (TNS) to help implement the Ravine Strategy and this is one of the plants they target to remove. I haven't seen the plant creeping into my own ravine yet, but why take the chance?

Transplanted an evergreen from the back to the hole left behind from a boxwood that was removed due to rust.

Alex transplanted the hellebore just a foot into where the evergreen had been, making some space between the notes.

I moved the Xenox sedum from its spot under the Japanese maple and placed the Jack-in the pulpit there... hoping to create a colony come spring.

Several plants from my spring planting didn't make it. The Japanese anemone in the front garden that I planted this year and the Canadian anemone from '21 were casualties. So was the northern bush honeysuckle, sadly. 

No comments: