Monday, July 5, 2021

Pandemic walks and garden inspiration

Returning from one of my afternoon walks, I started up the front path when a voice behind me asked, "is this your garden? It is my absolute favourite garden on my walks!" I found out the owner of the voice and his husband live a few blocks away on a street with gardens I've long admired. I happily accepted his flattery and then invited him around the back to see the ravine garden. 

I'm certain his hyperbole was due to his springtime walks, when the front garden bursts with early crocus and tulips, and then the peonies and poppies that celebrate May. That party is over by May 31.

Another neighbour on another walk thanked me and said my garden looked so natural and whimsical.

As I've been enjoying my pandemic neighbourhood walks and getting garden inspiration as I pass by, I'm delighted to know others are finding some pleasure in mine.

Motivated by all this positivity, I went in search of more colour to replenish the area where the peony blooms had been. So went looking for dahlia, which had already sold out in most places. Much less for sale this year at the nurseries; staff at one of them said that due to the pandemic growers have had difficulty finding workers. What is on sale seems more expensive and in short supply. 

By late June the front garden had sage in bloom and the willow shrub with its variegated green and pink polkadots. Lamium, sweet woodruff, and daphne in flower. Eventually found some dahlia and calla lilies for the front, just as the sage was beginning to fade.

With more time and knowing eyes are on the front garden, I want to welcome more pollinators but may need to wait another year to find the plants (Canadian anemone, more bergamot, snake root).

In back, in June, in bloom: iris, clematis, Beauty Bush, lilac, rodgersia, buttercup and coleus, predominantly blushing pinks and purples with spots of sunny yellow.


Daphne is loving the sun in the front garden, offering flowers June through July

showy plumes of Rodgersia

The pansies we picked up in March are still frothing in July


No comments: