Thursday, May 27, 2021

Peony Parties


The peony was in full bud and ready to burst, yet I was so surprised by the first bloom that my squeal made the cat jump.

Timed for the May 24 long weekend, the occasion was the perfect excuse for invitations, "Come see the peonies!" 

The peonies and their scent made for the perfect transition as our guests made their way into the backyard.  Alex and Penny; Liz and Darcy; Kaarina and Mike... three different evenings of small gatherings. 

In Covid times and good weather, we enjoyed our cocktails in the back garden.

Gin Fizz with Empress Gin
Bees Knees with Ungava Gin

In the mornings I've been sitting on the front steps with my coffee and opening the window in my home office so I can smell the flowers while I work.

It's been a week and they are still offering their pretty petals. 

Trying to fend off the inevitable under the threat of rain, Rob was inspired to get an umbrella for cover, which we then secured with a line to keep it from crashing into the tree's fragile branches. Luckily the rain passed. We then removed our temporary structure due to increasing wind. How sad it would be if the umbrella came crashing down to destroy the very thing it was to protect? 

Likely just two to three more days until the peony parties are over for the year. 

 
By May 31, the inevitable:



No comments: