Sunday, June 28, 2020

French Grille

The Epitourists got together at Kaarina's for a French Grille.

Sensationnel!

When the theme was named I did some quick research before settling on French Bistro Steak, a triple-tested recipe I found online from Canadian Living. Dijon, thyme and tarragon vinaigrette poured over grilled steak and lightly roasted vegetables, with soft-boiled egg on the side. Ease-y! What surprised me was the lack of a marinade, something I always assumed was essential for this cut of meat. A little more poking around revealed there is a school of thought to marinade proteins after you grillbecause the moisture and sugar in most marinades can actually cause a protein to simultaneously steam and burn without ever truly searing.

I also brought a selection of Italian cheeses. Why? "Leftovers" from our February visit to Eataly. We were so stuffed at our vegetarian feast we couldn't manage another bite; of course, I didn't really save them, I don't have that much self control! So I pre-ordered from Alex Cheese Farms, doing my best to match our Eataly selections. Over the phone, I would name the cheese and then he would describe what was on hand. Oh, how I wanted to taste! He laughed and explained they weren't offering counter tastings in the store either. When I asked him to pre-cut into one ounce portions so I could minimize food handling, he gladly complied. On the plate: bosco tartufo with truffle (sheep and cow), montasio (cow), taleggio (buffalo), and pecorino moliterno (sheep and goat).

For an elegant dessert Karrina whipped up some creme to accompany fresh cherries and strawberries.


MENU
Moules Grillées
Asperges Grillées avec Sauce Maltaise
Carre d’agneau Pistou avec Poireaux Vinaigrette
Bistro Salade de Steak
Cerises et fraises avec crème
Sélection de fromages italiens

well-matched


No comments: