Sunday, April 7, 2019

Another plug for Laissez Faire

Having read Kaarina's review of Laid Back On King Street, I want to expand a bit on the criticism of Laissez Faire and its high volume music.

The review concluded with saying, "When we asked for the volume to be turned down, the response was not surprisingly laissez faire - they left it alone. And so will we."

Well actually, I will probably go back. Let me tell you more.

At TTC subway stations and at Dundas Square, where homeless youths tend to congregate, the city has taken to piping in loud classical music to keep them away. I have a sneaking suspicion that some of the trendier restos in our wonderful city are playing loud music to keep the older crowd away. Let's face it, we get in the way of the vibe.

After rave reviews of Pinkerton's Snack Bar in Toronto's east end, I dragged my husband Rob along so we could taste Chef Wilson's small plates. We were the only customers in the place, but still had to shout out our orders. The waitress couldn't even hear us and asked us to repeat. The food and cocktails were outstanding, but my head hurt after leaving.

We eat with ALL our senses. Food is what we can taste, smell, see, touch and yes... hear. The slurp of soup, the crunch of crackers, the murmur of an mmmmm.

So rather than avoiding these places, which are somewhat ageist and discriminatory, but serve pure deliciousness, I will simply pack my earplugs. Why should I miss out on a good thing just because I don't fit in with the scenery?

1 comment:

Epitourists said...

Thank you for shedding some light on this topic Diane! Bravo! Well done. I too will pack earplugs on my next restaurant jaunt. Caroline