Monday, June 9, 2014

Notes on Recent Reds

ZONIN RIPASSO VALPOLICELLA SUPERIORE DOC $ 17.05 


Kaarina and I tasted this Ripasso on Medina in early May. One of my favourite Italians, this ripasso is very smooth, low tannin, and quite delicious. Even better, it was on sale at the time for $15.95, so nudged in just under the price ceiling for stocking up the BPYC bar.

For the tasting that evening, I had brought a bottle of  Echeverría Syrah Reserva 2011, excited by my old world/new world find. At 17.95 it was good value, too, and I thought we might squeak into our range, but it was a tad out of reach. This syrah is from Chile, with every grape bunch handpicked and brought back to the winery in small batches so as not to crush the clusters, and then aged in oak barrels. Based on the description, I picked up a case of 12 from Liffords, and it did not disappoint: A highly aromatic Syrah showing a range of berry fruits such as blackberries, blueberries and raspberries. Hints of bitter chocolate combine nicely with notes of black pepper, cinnamon and tobacco. A well balanced and round mouthful, with a juicy and long lasting finish. 

Tonight I am definitely spoiling myself with a  BERINGER KNIGHTS VALLEY Cabernet Sauvignon from California. What a nice way to end the weekend. Lingering. This cab sauv feels perfectly balanced. Not something to rush, but to slow down. Enjoy the smell, colour and taste.  The finish is longlasting. Tasting this makes me want to visit Knights Valley in Sonoma and spend a bit of time there: "an undeveloped hidden gem of volcanic rock and alluvial soils perfect for growing Bordeaux style wines".

No comments: