Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Pinot Grigio

I definitely prefer red to white wine.

Of the whites, Pinot Grigio has to be my least favourite. When I heard rumours that there were bottles of water with a bit of yellow food colouring in them, passing themselves off as Pinot Grigio at the LCBO, I didn't take it as an urban myth as much as a statement of fact.

I am also suspect of the BPYC survey that said Pinot Grigio was most peoples' favourite white wine. Maybe it was first on the checklist, I reasoned. Or Riesling mustn't have been on the list, let alone Anselmi, that wonderful white Bepi once called "Easter in a Glass."

Yet. I still found myself at Kaarina's for a blind tasting of six different bottles.

I can report that the 4 of us (Kaarina, Peter, Laura and I) were fairly aligned in our choices of the best tasting. We might not have agreed on sequencing, but the placement of the top three and bottom three were unanimous. Again, the most expensive wines weren't necessarily our top choices, however, Peter did point out the sweetest wines all made our list of favourites.
prettiest bottle!

So I won't feel too bad having a few of these cheaper labels on hand for guests who'd prefer a light, crisp white at the table.

Top 3 (not necessarily in order)
  • Blu Giovello Pinot Grigio, Friulli Italy ($14, on sale for $12.50) sugar content 7 g/L
  • Graffigna Centenario Pinot Grigio, San Juan Argentina ($12.95) sugar content 7 g/L
  • Mezzacorona Pinot Grigio, Trentino Italy ($12.95) sugar content 7 g/L
Least favourite 3
  • Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio V,  Trentino Italy ($17.95) 2 g/L
  • 20 Bees Pinot Grigio, Ontario Canada ($11.95) 6 g/L
  • Creekside Pinot Grigio, Ontario Canada ($14.95) 5 g/L


No comments: