Nicolette and Desmond invited people to sample some great varietals and offered delectable pairings of smoked trout, pepper pate, and wonderful cheeses. Two new cheeses to add to my list of favourites: a creamy Devil's Cave Blue from Sudbury and a goat cheese baked with lemon and pepper.
Thanks to the invite I was happy to discover how beautifully the pepper pate and smoked trout contrasted with the flavour of the Late Harvest Riesling. I can definitely see this as a first course or aperitif, served in summer, with frozen grapes presented as a garnish on the side. yummmmm
Dan kept everyone laughing with his descriptions for the personalities of the wines - one was an effusive Bryn Mawr graduate, another was "confused but not conflicted", still another "burst rudely into the room unannounced and quickly departed without leaving much of an impression":
- Legends, Late Harvest Vidal, 2006 (VQA Ontario)
- Strewn Select, Late Harvest Vidal, 2008 (VQA Ontario)
- Northern Ice, Late Harvest Vidal, 2006 (VQA Ontario)
- Montes Late Harvest Gewurtraminer, 2008, Chile
- Chateau de Charmes, Late Harvest Riesling, 2006 (VQA Ontario)
- Old Vienna Beeren Auslese, 2008, Austria
Nicolette also shared a 'mouth-feel' wheel she'd come across - a handy way to create a shared vocabulary for red wines that we referenced a few times - silky was a great description for Legends Vidal.
Way too many calories but lots of fun!