- For breakfast Sunday morning at the B&B, we were served baked eggs wrapped in Canadian bacon. It looked like someone fussed, but it's actually fairly easy to pull this one off.
- Hamburger patty on rye bread with swiss cheese and carmelized onion (plain, but simply delicious)
- BLT soup: cream of tomato, with crumbled bacon, croutons and crisp lettuce added just before serving. (Great combination of textures and temperatures.)
- Steak salad with deep-fried curly onion rings (Again with the contrasting temperatures and textures; very satisfying & decadent)
- BLT sandwich with avocado (this sounded better than it was, I loved avocado but it felt a bit too mushy in the sandwich. The flavour of the bacon with avocado was a great match, though)
- Saganaki with lots of lemon (the Greek OPA! standby was really enhanced by the added citrus)
- A Caesar cocktail that was poured with dill-infused ouzo instead of vodka (yum)
The Collossus in Oakville - great menu and decor
The Boathouse in Sackets Harbour - an actual Boathouse floating just above the water; outstanding selection of micro-brews
Sackets Harbour Brewing Company, also known as The Distillery - micro-brewery on site; either dine in the pub or the more upscale dining room
There was one restaurant we pulled up to along the highway that had a friendly diner-style name but the closer we got the scarier it looked. We got as far as the parking lot and were about to pull away when a bearded man ran out the front door to our car and knocked his dirty knuckles against the glass. Against my better judgement I rolled down the windows. He wheezed, "We're open. Come in. You don't have to come in unless you want to, but I saw you drive up." I struggled to find some acceptable excuse to drive away. From his reception I guess they don't get many customers! I felt guilty leaving but the place just gave me the creeps. Total lack of windows didn't help their cause, much.
Photo credit: Baked eggs wrapped in bacon