Sunday, August 9, 2009

Waupoos (Day 10)

Woke up late - 9 a.m. I can't believe I've slept so much on this trip - I am getting about 8-9 hours a night + naps. I think it must be the gentle rocking of the boat.

10 a.m.
Right now I am sitting in a barn, under a tin roof, listening to pounding rain and booming thunder. We went into Waupoos Marina to pump out, get gas and ice and check the weather. Took a temporary dock while we showered and then came out to this wicked storm. Happy to be on land right now, where I can enjoy the lightning show in comfort and safety.

4 p.m.
Turns out there are lots of Bluffers here - Grey Ghost, Sunrise, Different Drummer. Had tea with Rebecca and Marie on the boat and listened to Rebecca's tales of woe for this cruise: engine problems, furling problems, late arrivals. Sunrise's motor cut out in the middle of a shipping lane with a storm on the horizon - luckily Different Drummer was close enough at hand to give them a tow. I guess it pays to have cruising buddies whenever you are crossing the lake!

6:oo p.m.
Hilarous! You have to see it to believe it! A field full of sunflowers, with happy faces carved into at least 30 or 40 of them. It would be easy to miss it if you were driving by in a car, but even some people walking by were missing the sight. Rob spotted them first. I thought these were actual natural formations but by happy face #5 I realized someone must have spent quite a bit of time on this; then we carved a few of our own.

9 p.m.
Rob said my risotto tonight was better than Joe C.'s - previously voted as "the best risotto I have ever had in my life". I made it with wild mushrooms, truffle oil, sundried tomatoes, parmesan and toasted almonds. The fact that we ate it after a long bike ride at the end of the docks with a fabulous wine probably contributed to the WoW factor. Wine was 2004 Ghemme DOGC from Piedmont, Italy and it definitely enhanced the meal. This was the bottle I bought as a treat for this trip, to serve specifically with the risotto, and I am very happy with how it all came together.

After dinner a hot tub, a jump in the lake off the dock, and sitting at the back of the boat doing some storm watching. Lightning shows are awesome in the true sense of the word!

No comments: