Saturday, July 4, 2009

Vigil

Rob and I saw a play at the Ward Island Playhouse called 'Vigil'.

The premise is straightforward... A nephew comes to stay with his dying aunt. They have a lot of unfinished business between them, although they haven't seen each other for more than 30 years. He rushes to be with her in her final moments, but a full year passes while he is on on his vigil.

The black comedy featured two performers, but sometimes felt a bit like a one man play. The aunt was left to grimace and mug through most of the piece & had only one line for the first half. After intermission things take an interesting turn.

The audience was small, but appreciative. My seat was front row, and less than 6 feet away from the actors, making me feel as though I was sitting on the stage.

Afterward we rode our bikes back to Hanlan's. The clover and the cottonwood seeds glowed eerily at the side of the road and the moonlight bounced off the lake to light our way back home.

1 comment:

The Clever Pup said...

I hope to hear more. I read in the Globe that the Island is practically deserted because of the strike. It must have been a nice evening.