Friday, July 5, 2024

Share * Inform * Inspire


I am now a certified (certifiable?) Toronto Master Gardener, having fulfilled the course and volunteer requirements. Alex, Penny and Rob came to the ceremony at Toronto Botanical Gardens in June, and then we all went out for dinner after to celebrate. A wonderful evening. 

As part of volunteering with TMG this past month, I have continued to manage educational outreach with the Toronto Public Library but I also worked a couple of 'Ask a Toronto Master Gardener' shifts and offered advice at the Leaside Garden tour. Quid pro quo for staffing the tour was being able to peek into the backyards on offer.  

Over thirty ago I joined the East York Garden Club, and when returned to speak as a panelist in late May, it made me realize how much I have learned over the years, and how much more there is to discover!  Questions from members were provided in advance, and as I was researching the answers I learned new things about pruning fruit trees, transplanting lilies and dividing dahlias. 

In June, I also went to several pop-up tours which were offered by EYGC members. Someone organized a special afternoon where eight of us could all visit each other's gardens together, sequentially, to see what was growing. Many of these gardeners have provided revelations for me in years gone by and continue to inspire. I was delighted to be asked to participate and also somewhat intimidated because my own garden was included and so many of the others are truly spectacular. Bonus: I picked up some plants along the way.




I love these local tours because they give me a chance to explore 'the art of the possible,' that is, what grows in the area, micro climates, and seeing what can be accomplished in gardens of various sizes and budgets. There is also the welcome surprise of certain plant combinations and designs. So much incredible diversity and each garden really does reflect the gardener.

No comments: