Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Gratitude

On the way home from our Book Club AGM this year I was in a car accident.

Thankfully I walked away with just a couple of scratches! It was a very rainy night. I was sitting on the passenger seat & watched as the other car veered into our lane but there was nothing I could do to stop it. This was happening. I closed my eyes and took a big breath and tried to relax as much as possible. There was a very loud noise and we started to spin, right into the ditch. When I opened my eyes I could see red dots on the airbag in front of me, I thought for a second it was blood but it was just the stitching on the airbag. Wiggled my fingers. Wiggled my toes. Moved my arms, then my legs. My right knee was pretty banged up and had a bad cut and there was glass all over the interior.

I turned my head to look at the driver Nicolette and she said she was okay too. She pulled out her phone to call her husband, I called Rob, who could tell where I was because we share locations on our iPhones. (523 - 643 highway 48) Nicolette shared that address so CAA could send a driver. When she pulled the phone away from her ear I could see the mobile was smeared with blood. Surface wound. Around this time we both started to shake.

Meanwhile several cars were driving past. One stopped and people came over to the side of our car to check on us. They told us the fire and ambulance were coming and stayed by our side until the lights and sirens were approaching. Soon the fire trucks, ambulance, Durham police and OPP were on the scene.

It was pouring buckets of rain.

A first responder came to help me out of the Volkswagon. I was able to leave on the passenger side but Nicolette's door was completely smashed in so she had to slide over. The crew was checking her over thoroughly. I was standing in the rain hoping everything was okay and wondering why she hadn't yet stepped out of the car.

Both of us were put into neck braces, but they didn't fit very well. If we had neck injuries it probably would have made them worse! Thankfully someone took mine off. Soaking wet by this time, we went to sit in the ambulance where it was dry. I asked for a blanket and an icepack for my knee. Nicolette's left wrist was put into a splint. They asked if we wanted them to take us to the nearby hospital, we both declined. I just wanted to go home, Nicolette preferred a Toronto hospital rather than Uxbridge.

It took Nicolette's husband Desmond awhile to get there, so we waited in the tow truck to keep warm.

Nicolette went to Michael Garon hospital, it turns out she has a fracture and will have to wear a cast for a couple of months. Maybe I should have gone to get checked out, but all I wanted was to get safely home, so Desmond dropped me off at my front door.

These last couple of days I'm quite achy, a sore knee and shoulder, and my chest where the airbag made contact. Doing restorative yoga and qi gong to help speed the healing. Booked an appointment to get checked out, after the fact, but better late than never.

I am so thankful we were both able to walk away that night. 

Happy to be alive!!!







1 comment:

NBH said...

So relieved you are both Ok ❤️