Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Settling in

Six months into my retirement!

Covid restricted the guest list of any intended parties as Toronto and Ontario entered lockdown again in January. Alex, Penny, Rob and I celebrated at home. Helium balloons and champagne!

Well, the helium balloons stayed in place, deflating gradually between Jan and mid-June, when I returned from Greece. Watching the hot air disappear was an apt metaphor for letting go. 

Our trip to Greece was just the kind of epic holiday I was envisioning to kick-off my retirement adventure. When I left, it was to travel, not to vacation. Although I did have to make a presentation at the BPYC AGM the day after I returned while extremely jet-lagged,  I didn't have a huge pile of work waiting on my desk for me to catch up. 

June was the month of my first pension check, and my last paycheck. The little bit of trepidation I feel as the markets fall and inflation rises is more than offset by the sense of relief of not needing to clock in every day. 

I have no shortage of interests. It is structure and routine I lack and rebel against. I figure that's just fine for this first year as I find my natural rhythms.

What else can I let go of that doesn't serve me anymore? What do I really want to keep in my life and nurture? How can I build a day that makes me truly happy? Good questions.

No comments: