Saturday, April 23, 2022

Launch!

 Launch this year was April 23. For the first time in two years, it wasn't delayed due to the pandemic.

However, Rob was down for the count with Covid, and for some miraculous reason (or effective booster shots), I was still testing negative.

So, for the first time ever, I was part of the launch crew, assigned to pads. On the previous shift, someone with the same duties had crunched their hand. I was pretty skittish to start with, and this news made me even more nervous. 

Pete M helped orient me to my duties and stayed until I had successfully managed 4 boats (so appreciated!). The pad part was easy, applying light pressure to keep them in place until the boat had lifted. It was the sling that was a bit more intimidating - grabbing hold while it was in mid air and then placing it on the bow of the hull so the vessel could be lifted. 

The shift was just 4.5 hours but felt like a full day's work. At the end of my shift, I was happy to have been a part of the successful operation. And Yondering was in the water! Mike P took the helm and motored her into the slip.

No comments: