Monday, September 7, 2020

Happy birthday!

I love this time of year. Late summers have always echoed as new beginnings, with best wishes on my birthday for the year ahead.

This year was a quiet celebration. The morning started with a nice long soak in the bath, coffee in the garden, and a restorative yoga session. 

Rob made Eggs Benedict and then we took a short drive to the Beach to watch the waves breaking on shore, followed by a meander in the Rosetta garden. 

Rob prepared a special meal of oysters on the half shell, scallops, asparagus wrapped prosciutto and potato fingerlings. Alex and Penny brought little delectable cakes.

Alex stirred memories with questions of my favourite birthdays.... 40th at the Pinery; 50th at BPYC; this one! Birthday Present.

I remember telling my grandmother in my early twenties I didn't think I would live a long life; I couldn't see myself in the future. She would have been in her late sixties, I think, and confessed she had never seen herself growing as old as she was at that moment. Happily she would go on living at least another decade. And here I am now, in the youth of old age.

This past year brought its work challenges and Covid stress but also a reinforcement of the fortune of family and friends. 

The bliss of unexpected pleasures and connections. 

The comforts of home.

Rob's gift to me this year is a Barbados Cherry bonsai. Such a beauty! It can live outside until winter but I am enjoying it inside for now and hoping for cherries. Alex and Penny chose 4 different saki for a tasting in the near future.

My birthday wishes for the year ahead are for continued health and happiness; planning my days to spend more time with the people I love doing the things I enjoy. Lofty ambition.

No comments: