Sunday, June 14, 2020

Lower deck


Alex, Penny and Rob helped me plant a sumac on the back slope. Challenging! It was fairly simple digging the hole, until we hit the roots of the old maple. After using pruners to dig away at the roots, Alex hammered with a shovel. Then Rob brought out the axe. Next came the sizall. Eventually we had to re-situate the hole a bit higher up the hill, taking care to place the shrub upright and not too deeply in the earth. Today it looks pretty happy, all things considered.

I've been wanting a sumac for a couple of years, and with the maple down, it should have plenty of sun.  Scarborough's Bluffs have been planted heavily with sumac to help fight erosion, which is also a concern in our backyard. Although a bit late in the season for planting shrubs, it's better late than never. I called Sheridan Nurseries looking a native sumac but happily substituted the Tiger Eye. Hardy, drought tolerant and food for birds! It has a horizontal growing habit and gorgeous fall colour of brilliant orange and yellow. It should reach a height of six feet and eventually crest the edge of the slope. This morning I dug a little trough higher up the hill it to act as a mini-reservoir, so when we try to water the sumac, it doesn't all river down the hill.


The ravine has been filling in nicely with my transplants from earlier years. Sitting on the lower deck I get a great view of green and the birds at the feeder. I've been ending my work days there reading, and what an improvement from my usual work transition riding public transit. We've been told we can work at home until at least September and I am ecstatic!

RESTORED!
compared to the 
Destruction of 2017 




No comments: