Saturday, May 23, 2020

That time of year

A full day in the garden!

I'm not sure if it was the pollen but I felt extravagantly tired by 11:00, but kept on going anyway, getting that natural woozy high that is part delirium. Everything looks amazing and saturated with colour. It takes twice as long to accomplish something but it doesn't matter, the minutes are like molasses, slow and sticky.

There are some overgrown spots I couldn't bring myself to thin and will save for another day.

Flopped down in the grass to stare up at the blue sky, and then tried out different garden views, testing perspective in comfy chairs.

Alex came by to pick up plants for his backyard. I love the thought of them finding homes there: bloodroot, geranium, rodgersia and different ground covers.

Not caring to face the crush of garden centres I was mostly transplanting: ferns and wild ginger into the ravine, daphne to the front. Herbs and roses in pots. Portulaca under the evergreen, in the space the city left bare. Nasturtium seeds thumbed into the dirt.

Also planted some vivid salamander-coloured begonias in the front where they are already starting to protest the sun and need to be re-sited. Looks like I'll have to visit the garden centre after all to find some sun-lovers for that spot... during the weekday.


Refreshed myself at the end of the day with with a frosty glass of ice cold Orangina and a sprig of mint. A nice and fizzy garden mocktail!


No comments: