Monday, March 30, 2020

Connecting in a World of Social Distancing

The social distancing imposed by this pandemic has been no real personal hardship for me. Although disappointed by cancellations of annual events like Canada Blooms, Hot Docs, and Canada Reads, I really don't mind cozying up at home, especially as we can take advantage of technology and new ways to connect. My laptop is being well used and much appreciated.

Without the virtual connection, I definitely would feel more isolated and cut-off from family, friends and work. How different the world is now than it was Pre Digital, or even ten or twenty years ago.


It seems everything has shifted more as a result of the pandemic, with transformation accelerating as people look for ways to maintain connection. There was a bit of technological lag, because of course people prefer to be together when possible, but now technology has become even more embedded in modern lives.

No doubt a new term is being coined, as social media doesn't quite capture the shift.

Is it Social Inter-Media?

I became very disenchanted by Facebook and Instagram awhile back and went from posting daily to weekly to now barely monthly. Now I'm using Facebook to private message individuals or connect with groups, such as the Choir Choir Distanc-Sing-Along or Scarborough Uke jam, or Ontario Birds. I don't often turn to Twitter as a means to stay informed or entertained.

Rob and I have been getting together virtually with friends and family. A Facetime dinner with Alex and Penny followed by playing some online games. A nice evening with Liz and Darcy, both couples in front of laptops and drinking cocktails while catching up for a couple of hours. It is good to "see" people and spend time with them, even if it is just through laptops.

Instead of hosting Rob's retirement party at our house, we changed the venue to an online Zoom meeting and focused on inviting family. Rob's sisters and brother are across the country, and there are nieces and nephews in different provinces and down in Australia. The last time people all got together was for a wedding several years ago. When I sent the first invitation people were quick to accept. Alex set it up with a Pro version, so we were also able to take advantage of breakout rooms. At first I suggested a Chair with a loose agenda to keep everyone from talking at once, but Rob really didn't want to structure it. So it was total chaos, random changes to video and a cacophony of sound.  Big smiles all round, from across the country and across the world. No clean-up or cooking required!

Yoga Centre Toronto closed the studio in March, cancelling sadhana, workshops and classes. I was secretly relieved, as I want Marlene to stay clear of the virus. At 80+ she remains an inspiration to me, and I know the decision to close must have been a difficult one but definitely the right thing to do. Marlene has been creating and sharing detailed sequences with her students so people can maintain their practice while the studio is closed. Such a blessing and comfort! While I continue my daily practice,  I'm attending weekly yoga classes online with Niren, via Zoom. Although there are no "hands on" adjustments, I value the instruction, and because it is 2-way Niron can offer observations on students' alignment.

Epitourists got together for cocktails as well as a lunch, via Facebook Messenger. Definitely not the same, as we weren't able to taste each others' courses. Still, some great food ideas and it was nice to hear what everyone was up to and how they were faring. Lunch in the Time of Covid is posted on the site.

Also connected with Chris for some online euchre playing by downloading an app that allows access to rooms that can be reserved and entered with passwords. The cards are animated and there are pics for I.D. purposes, and audio is available by pressing down on a button if you want to speak. Not highly refined, but free and fun.

Rob and my meetings with our financial advisor were already happening via Zoom for the last few months, and a much needed session went ahead in March to strategize weathering the economic storm upon retirement.

My brothers and sister continue to use Slack as a way to keep up to date with what's happening in our lives. Although we organized it as a hub to keep informed during Mom's illness, it has proven to be a central way to organize family get togethers and worked out to be a comforting touchpoint.

For work at home, I'm using the den as an office, so at the end of the day I just power down the work laptop and shut off the lights, which makes for an easy separation and a quick commute. At the start of things, it looked like I might be redeployed to COVID related activities and I was looking forward to being able to make a strong contribution. Unfortunately things didn't pan out in that direction, but that may change. In the meantime, I've made some calls to suppliers to support transformation activities related to general operations. Feeling a bit on standby while life is elsewhere, and trying to reframe it as an opportunity to adjust my perspective on the world of work.

I remember looking at my grandparents when I was a kid, thinking they had seen more change in their lifetimes than I ever would. From horse and carriage to car and airplane to a man on the moon. I wonder what they would make of this Digital Age?

No comments: