Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Full Moon Before Yule -- December 2019

Long Night's Moon,  Cold Moon.... so full and bright last night it woke me up when it passed overhead the skylight.

The moon is officially full December 12 at 12:12 am but I was awestruck by the moonrise, at 5 pm today, when I stepped off the bus on the way home. So huge and rosy it warmed the freezing air (well, almost).

Here is A Song to the Moon by Dvořák, from his opera Rusalka (water sprite) sung by Renee Fleming at Royal Albert Hall

photo from Canadian Opera Company production of Rusalka with soprano Sondra Radvonovsky. Too bad I missed it when it was playing here in October... the opera is based on the original folktale of the Little Mermaid; the sets and costumes looked to be amazing.

English Translation of "Song to the Moon"

Moon, high and deep in the sky
Your light sees far,
You travel around the wide world,
and see into people's homes.
Moon, stand still a while
and tell me where is my dear.
Tell him, silvery moon,
that I am embracing him.
For at least momentarily
let him recall of dreaming of me.
Illuminate him far away,
and tell him, tell him who is waiting for him!
If his human soul is, in fact, dreaming of me,
may the memory awaken him!
Moonlight, don't disappear, disappear!



No comments: