Sunday, February 17, 2019

Full Snow Moon - February


The moon will be full Feb 19. Last night it was an oblong egg shape against the dark sky.

It woke me up in the middle of the night, moon shadows cast on the bedroom walls. I actually shook Rob awake so he could admire the view;  he didn't seem to mind and fell back to sleep quickly.

There have been cold, icy, snowy, work-at-home days this past month. For the first time in eight years the Toronto District School Board declared itself closed.

Jan 28
Today the snow has an icy crust on top and the sidewalks are treacherous. I suppose I should force myself out for a walk but I prefer to snuggle indoors with a pot of tea.

It's that time of year when I crave warmth and sun. Short trips south only seem to make the winter that much longer and harder to bear. So we're staying put this year, seeing friends' photos of their trips on Instagram and Facebook. Having some regrets about toughing it out.

In a few years I hope to spend January and February in warmer, sunnier climes. Palm trees and surf. Costa Rica? Mexico?

Feb 3
The snowman Rob made a few weeks ago half-melted during a warm spell and is now an unrecognizable block of ice with the hat and scarf frozen at its feet. Pretty much reflecting how I feel about winter right about now.

At least the dark days are lengthening. When the sun does come out it seems a strange phenomenon. Skies are mostly grey. The snow on city streets turned to brackish piles.

Feb 17
To counter the winter blues I've enjoyed an Epitourist feast with a Mexican theme. I've also taken in a few plays and concerts and films. The Art Gallery tomorrow, to see the Impressionists. Escape!

Allan Gardens is such a godsend, too. Last week I walked over at lunchtime twice, to witness the red camelia opening, the pink cyclamen, the amaryllis. Shots of colour. But it is the green I love the most.

Garden shows are coming. Get the Jump on Spring at TBG next weekend; after that, Canada Blooms.

Looking out my window I find it hard to believe there will be crocus and daffodils in a month or two. I know spring is coming but it feels such a long, long way off.


Full Snow Moon, February 19, 2019

No comments: