Monday, February 2, 2015

In which I face the facts


I treated myself to a bottle of Chateau de Beaucastel, Chateauneuf-du-Pape. Definitely the best wine I have enjoyed in months. This centuries' old appellation deserves its reputation. The bottle I chose is organic and has a serious rep - so no cheap production methods to sneak in extra sulphites.

I most enjoyed the first sips before the allergic reaction kicked in... yes, I have to face the fact I have developed a most unfortunate reaction to one of my favourite substances. A sniffly nose definitiely interferes with taking in the aroma and fully savouring the taste of wine.  I guess for the last 8 months or so I've known I've been developing an allergy but thought if I cut way back on wine it might make a difference. Nope.  But those first sips tonight, they were worth all the discomfort that followed.

I've been trying substitutes (saki, cocktails) but they aren't quite the same. Maybe I just need to take antihistamines before a tasting?

Served with spiced lamb chops and barley risotto with swiss chard and preserved lemon that looked beautiful on the plate. Mint jelly added a sweet dimension.

Too bad I forgot to snap a photo, but it did look something like this, minus the cherry tomatoes.


No comments: