Sunday, February 2, 2014

Purging


I aspire to the William Morris aphorism, "To have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."

It's almost as hard to get rid of stuff as to acquire it in the first place.

Since the start of the new year, I've gotten rid of several boxes of books, bags of clothes, miscellaneous household items. Considering some odds and ends today.

George Carlin's perspective on stuff is hilarious in this You Tube video

Some great tips to declutter here, and there and everywhere.

Yes, to toss an old demo reel (so old I'm not sure the 3/4" format is around anymore), of videos I produced in the early 90's. Don't have the technology to play these anymore and although it might bring back memories to watch it (if I paid for the transfer), it's all work-related anyway. Very dated. Likely disintegrated.

No to tossing a journal from '99-'02.  Useful chronicles if only to serve as a reminder of mental clutter. Although long ago I tore out the 'toxic pages'... at one time I would pour out negative thoughts onto paper on the theory that it would help clear my mind. It didn't really help. I ended up tearing and burning the pages they were way, way too negative. What's left are mundane accounts and worries that I recognize in present-day fixations & monkey-mindedness. How things change, and don't change, over time.

Tackle next: old paper files and financials.



No comments: