A huge thanks for a memorable meal to what I hope is the start of an auspicious year.
Our noisy group of ten soon grew quiet when the food was served.
Sensational! And I mean that literally it was pleasing to all the senses... Not just the flavours but the balance of contrasts, temperatures and tastes made for an absolute feast. Incredibly satisfying.
So I know what to order on my next visit:
- Steamed Soup Filled Dumplings with Crab Meat and Pork: soft and silken noodle purses that, when you bite into them, explode with flavour and warmth (I like these so much I looked up their Chinese name, Xiaolongbao)
- Drunken Chicken Soaked in Liquor: thin slices of chicken served chilled (these arrived with the warm soup dumplings to make a wonderful course)
- Taiwanese Street Style Deep Fried Tofu with Garlic Sauce: crispy fired outside, smooth inside, with a spicy bite
- Peking Duck: first serving is the duck's crispy skin that you wrap in a thin pancake with cool cucumber and hoison sauce; second serving is the duck, cubed and mixed with tofu, that you spoon into a leaf of lettuce and drizzle with hoison
- Kung Pau Shrimp: spicy hot and crunchy, a known favourite
- Sauteed Beef Sirloin with Satay Sauce on Sizzling Hot Plate: melt-in-your-mouth beef served with crunchy veggies
- Sauteed Green Beans with Dried Shrimp: spicy, salty, crunchy and so fun to slurp into your mouth
- Red Bean Pancakes: a savoury dessert, deceptively plain and strangely satisfying
- Banana in Hot Toffee: tasty treats that caramelize in front of your eyes when dipped into the ice water bath at your table