Saturday, October 26, 2013

Popping Corks

I volunteered to tend the Bellini Bar at the White Party last weekend so I could practise opening champagne. I've always passed the chilled bottle to someone else to pop the cork, being a bit intimidated by the task. A chance to open 10+ bottles in less than two hours cured me of my apprehensions.

Six twists of the metal tie, and then turn the bottle - not the cork. Not a 'pop' but a smoky sigh. Very satisfying!

The blend for these bellinis was Kaarina's concoction: 1 oz pear nectar + 1/4 oz triple sec + fill the champagne glass to the top with cava and garnish with a slice of pear.

'white' bellini
If I would have done my research beforehand I could have shared the fact that the Bellini was invented sometime between 1934 and 1948 by Giuseppe Cipriani, founder of Harry's Bar in Venice, Italy. Because of its unique pink color, which reminded Cipriani of the color of the toga of a saint in a painting by 15th-century Venetian artist Giovanni Bellini, he named the drink the Bellini. Wikipedia

I checked out some of Bellini's art and found Feast of the Gods. No saints, but plenty of revellers and a few pink-hued and contented nymphs.


No comments: