Sunday, December 16, 2012

Wow

Easy seems to be the word on my mind as I  dust the shelves and organize the cupboards.  I'm sure there will be a few tweaks in the weeks ahead, but I try to place things where they would be used for easy grabbing and easy putting away.  Easy reach.

I really like having pull-out drawers for the pots, pans and cooking utensils.  So easy to see what you need.

I try to keep the counters all clear, but it didn't make sense to store the blender and toaster out of sight.  Morning smoothies are more likely to happen if they're easy to assemble.  I'm somewhat tempted to get rid of the toaster, we use it so  infrequently, but I know I would miss it just the same. Such an easy breakfast, porridge and toast.

Right now,  Rob is installing one of those pull-outs under the sink so the garbage and recycling are easy to access. From the sound effects, not such an easy installation.

This has been such an interesting endeavour, the kitchen reno.  To really think about everything in the space... where it sits, what's its function, is it built to last, what about the colour and shape and texture?  So much attention and care to details.  I had no idea what I was in for!

I can see how home renovations can become addictive. The exercise calls on the basic instinct to tame the wilderness and bring order into chaos. To become masters of our domain. And here I am, reaping the benefits of generations seeking shelter from the storm.

Salt in the cupboard - absolute luxury! Fire at our beck and command, just a twist of the nob on the stove. A flick of the switch and daylight floods the room on a dark winter evening. Water on tap. Exotic foods from across this amazing planet. The radio brings the best of music into my home and I can choose the station and style of music.

Such riches, such ease. Quite phenomenal.

No comments: