Friday, November 12, 2010

Tasty Tajine

I didn't feel like a trip to the grocery store so adapted several recipes to suit ingredients on-hand.

In fact, this is adapted so much, I guess it isn't a true tajine anymore:  there is no meat, no fruit and no tajine container.  Plus it is fast - not slow cooked.  But it certainly lives up to the 'tasty' adjective.

grapeseed oil
1/2 onion
2 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp ginger
1tsp tumeric
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp fresh ground cumin
1 tsp fresh ground coriander
1/2 butternut squash, diced
1 can chick peas, washed and drained
1 can diced tomatoes

Heat oil.  Add onion, ginger and garlic when it is hot.  Cook for 1-2 minutes, then add spices, enjoying the deepening fragrance.
Add the chick peas and squash. Fold the bright colours gently into the spices. Heat thoroughly.
Then add the tomato, stir again.  Heat until it bubbles, then turn it down to simmer.
Ready to eat in 30 minutes.

I served with quinoa cooked in saffron.

1 comment:

Giulia said...

Very yummy. This is just my sort of thing. I am soaking a lb of chickpeas as I type & will be making something rather similar (though I'm not one for butternut squash...I've tried:)

xo