What's the difference between a yam and a sweet porato? A yam is a yam.
A sweet potato by any other name would taste as sweet... or would it?
The yam, on the left, is often mistaken for a sweet potato, at right. Yams have darker flesh and taste sweeter, though both can be used for casseroles, mashed like potatoes, or julienned for fries -- to name a few ideas. Bakersfield ExpressBelieve it or not, scientists claim these two are not biologically related. If you want more Vitamin A, choose a sweet potato; for more vitamin C, fibre, B12 and potassium, pick the yam. Both are relatively low in calories and have no fat.
The yams, and this recipe, came in my 'Organics Delivered' box. This was the first time that I prepared yams in a slow cooker, but it definitely won't be the last,. The flavour was intense.
I prepared these at the club, putting the yams in the cooker before we pushed out for an afternoon sail. When we returned 6 hours later, the meal only needed a few finishing touches. Happily there was enough to share with other members enjoying their late dinners.
This is a beautifully colourful dish - orange and red to match the colours of fall.
Candied Yams and Cranberry Casserole
Ready in 1-5 hours depending on how you choose to cook the yams.
6 medium yams or sweet potatoes
1/2 cup of butter
3/4 cup of light brown sugar
2 cups of fresh or frozen cranberries
1 teaspoon of salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup walnuts
I added fresh ginger, freshly ground cinnamon, and yellow golden sultana raisins.
- Wash the yams or potatoes; drain but do not dry. Option A: Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours. This takes longer but retains more flavour. Option B: Steam yams until you can easily pierce them with a fork, 20-40 minutes.
- Peel and cut yams into quarters. Place in casserole.
- In medium saucepan, melt butter; add sugar, cranberries, walnuts, salt and pepper and chosen spices. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until cranberries pop and sugar dissolves.
- Pour saucepan mix over yams in casserole dish.
- Cover and bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.