It was a cold, moonless winter night but we took in the view of their many gardens in a slide show. 200 shots of garden porn! Not quite the same thing as being there, but given the season, the next best thing.
The emphasis was on hardy plants, ones that don't need coddling to survive. I collected specimen names to try to find come spring. I don't pretend to know the Latin names, but the speakers kindly provided the plant list by slide #.
Here were some of my favourites:
- primula kisoana (pictured above)
- geranium sanguineum 'Alpenglow' for fall colour
- lathyrus vernus 'Alboroseus' (deep blue flowers & small)
- aruncus aethusifolius (miniature aruncus dioicus?)
- monarda puctata (small)
- campanula incurva (BIG flower, small plant pictured at right)
- linum flavum (lots of flowers)
- dictamnus albus