My mom would get together with people from her church and prepare soups from this cookbook to share with others in the community. She raved about the recipes so much I asked for a copy for my birthday.
There is something comforting about soup.
For this particular recipe I used roasted garlic instead of fresh and served with home made bread.
- 1 lb broccoli
- 3 garlic cloves
- 6 cups water
- 6 parsley sprigs
- 4 strips of bacon
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 (6oz) can of tomato paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- grated cheese to taste (Parmesan or Gruyere)
- Wash the broccoli thoroughly, slice in small pieces (save the tough part for a stir fry). Chop the garlic, parsley and bacon.
- Pour the olive oil into a soup pot. Add above ingredients and saute for a minute or two. Add the tomato paste and 2 cups of water. Stir well. Cover the pot and allow the soup to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining water and cook the soup over medium heat for 30 minutes. Add salt and pepper and simmer for a few minutes.
- Just before serving puree in a blender.