Warm salads for cool weather are comforting and delicious. This one is adapted from this month's Yoga Journal & really hit the spot.
Warm spinach and squash salad
- 1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 3-4 Tbsp olive oil
- maple syrup
- salt, pepper, nutmeg to taste
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice or red wine vinegar
- 5 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds
- Prepare squash. Halve and brush with butter & maple syrup, top with ground nutmeg and brown sugar, and then bake in 400 degree oven about 45 minutes or until done. (Or cube, toss with olive oil & salt & pepper, and then bake about 20 minutes).
- Mix juice or vinegar with salt. Add squash, spinach.
- Toast almonds & add to greens.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat. If you used maple syrup and butter in the baked squash, some of the juices may have collected in the halves...mix in with the oil. Pour over salad, tossing to coat and wilt spinach evenly. Serve at once.