The Connoisseur's Corner at the Food and Wine show offered a tasting of the InterVin Value Award Winners, led by Christopher Waters, Head Judge and editor of Vines magazine.
'Value Awards' went to bottles priced less than $15. Featured wines at the tasting included:
- Vina Santa Rita 2008 Sauvignon Blanc Reserva Estate Bottled $12.95 (Chile)
- Gerardo Cesari 2008 Chardonnay $7.95 (Veneto, Italy)
- Innaskillin Wines 2007 Varietal Series Chardonnay $10.95 (Niagara Peninsula)
- Farnese 2008 Sangiovese $7.45 (Italy)
- Argento Wine Co 2007 Malbec $9.95 (Argentina)
We also had a preview tasting of a great Australian blend that will soon be stocked on the LCBO shelves. This one was disqualified from the Value Award distinction because at $15, it couldn't be listed as 'under' the value price:
- Hardys 2007 Butcher's Gold Shiraz Sangiovese $15.00 (South Australia)
Established in 1850, the Hardys Winery won medals in several categories.
InterVin judges tasted 753 wines from 16 different countries over three days to recognize excellence in wine-making. Every effort was made to get unbiased and objective rankings: blind tasting, switching up the order in which wines were served, independent tasting and group debate. The panel included wine educators and writers, chefs, sommeliers, and wine makers.
Browse through your favourite category winners here.