Saturday, October 24, 2009

Food as Aromatherapy

Wet, rainy and cold. Nasty day for Rob to haul out the boat at Bluffers, but a perfect day for me to get to work and fill the house with delicious smells to greet him when he comes back home!

Boeuf à la Mode with Quatre Épices & home-baked bread is on the menu.

There must be more than one hundred variations for the spice mixture quatre epices, but I used this version with a touch of cinnamon for the aromatherapy value: 2 tablespoons ground white pepper, 1 tablespoon ground ginger, 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg, 1 tablespoon ground cloves.

The stewing beef came from the Chopping Block in the Beach because I wanted something hormone & drug-free.

Also took the bread machine out of hiding in the basement & dusted it off. There is nothing like the smell of fresh-baked bread to warm the house on a cold day! Hope the machine still works, it's been way too long since I used it.

I plan to serve this with a Valpolicella Ripasso. We tried a Classico Superiore from Remo Farina recently that was great value for under $20, so if I see this is still on the LCBO shelf I'll grab a few more bottles for the cellar.

No comments: