Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Metasequoia (Dawn Redwood)

Biking along the path on Ward's Island, someone has put up some homemade signs identifying trees. Tulip Tree, Yellow Wood, Red Beech, Dawn Redwood.

Seeing the signs posted made me stop and take note of the trees just a bit longer than I might have without the label.

Do I really need a sign to make me stop and pay attention?

It made me wonder about what a different world it might be if we posted signs about natural phenomena vs. commercial products.

It also made me thankful there aren't billboards everywhere on Island.

The lack of advertising is probably a big part of the reason it feels like you've officially left the city. I hope some bureaucrat somewhere isn't dreaming up the idea of raising additional funds for parks with ad revenue from billboards. I'd definitely show up for that protest.... with a sign.

No comments: