The photo at right shows them served with walnut pesto, but the spicy peanut sauce is what we used for dipping.
I'm thinking of trying this with an Indian paneer and Tandoor sauce, mango chutney on the side.
- 8 ounces extra firm tofu
- 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp crushed unsalted peanuts
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- dash cayenne pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- oil for frying
- bamboo skewers
- Cut tofu into 1/2" squares
- Combine flour, breadcrumbs, peanuts and dried spices in a small bowl
- Toss tofu squares with beaten egg, then roll in dry mixture until completed coated
- Skewer,then deep fry in oil over medium-high heat until crispy and browned.
Spicy Peanut Sauce
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/8 cup dark sesame oil
- 1/2 Tbsp honey
- 1/2-1 teaspoon chili paste (or to taste)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
Process all ingredients except fresh cilantro in a food processor until smooth (or put into a mason jar like I did and shake-shake-shake). Taste, correct seasoning, add cilantro. Heat in small saucepan until reduced by approximately 1/3 and thickened. Serve hot.
- Recipe Sarah Harrel, The Veg Company