Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Try, try, try again



The benefits of meditation are widely studied and proven. 

I have been meditating for many years but I'm still not as disciplined as I would like. In the past I've been able to manage daily for two or three months at a stretch but then fall out of the consistent practice. 

Why? Why? Why? 
Try, try, try again.

The Science of Happiness course I've been taking these past weeks has been useful in trying to engrain the habit.  

What I think I've come to appreciate is that I need to make meditation as routine as my morning yoga. For the past couple of years I was scheduling it into my daily work calendar in 15 minute increments. These short bursts were a big lift when I managed to do them, which was about once or twice a week. I also tried evenings at home, but with a busy calendar wasn't able to commit to the same time each and every night. 

A technique to build successful outcomes is to socially commit, so today I reached out to my brother Dave to share my intention. We've shared silent retreats together in the past, so I know he will be understanding and supportive.

My tack now is to follow morning yoga with meditation, five days a week. I'll vary the approach so I'm not doing the same thing every day, to help keep it fresh. Sometimes guided (Insight Timer app, You Tube, etc) but mostly on my own; switching up metta or tonglen or pranayama or just plain breath counting. I'll persist with other meditation in the afternoon or evenings, so it will be more of a bonus when it happens on those days that I can fit it in.




No comments: