Monday, May 18, 2020

Zubin on Zoom


Zubin is an inspired and gifted teacher. I've enjoyed my intensives with him over the years (2012, 2015, 2016) Usually in person at Yoga Centre Toronto, this time over Zoom.

Two classes, each two hours. He was teaching in Mumbai to one hundred students across the world. Time zones in Japan, India, Germany, Canada and the US had to be accommodated. I was skeptical when the opportunity came up, but signed up anyway as my past experiences have been so enlightening.

This was definitely not a 'gym-yoga' class, but a deeper experience of going inward and tasting the asanas in new ways, with the encouragement to develop mind-body-spirit awareness. Zubin invited everyone to really focus on the feelings and sensations arising through the sequence of asanas. 

How does your side body feel now... can you imprint this memory to recreate the upward lift in sirsana? How can you create a sensation of heaviness in your back leg to balance in Virabhadrasana III? When you lay your torso on your thigh, how does that make your spine feel?
Each session ended with a challenging pose. I've never tackled danurasana sirsana or sirsana padmasana at home, but after two hours of effort and focus was ready to try with the wonderful surprise that I was able to take on each posture. Intense and motivating.
danurasana sirsana
sirsana padmasana

This online class was different in many ways. I felt far less crowded than I would have in a room with one hundred other students, but also comparing myself less with others because I couldn't see them in my peripheral vision. I started the classes with less confidence about whether I was doing this or that pose with the 'right' alignment, but as time went on felt more trust in myself. At ease in my own space. 

When the class ended today Zubin wished some of us good morning, and others good night. Reflecting now I feel such a strong sense of connection with souls across the world who shared this brief experience. 

Life does have its moments.

No comments: