Thursday, May 21, 2020

Epitourists pique nique

Still a few months into the pandemic, we got together for some social distancing, Epi-style. I took a day off work for a drive north of the city. What a glorious afternoon! Late spring, it felt like a summer's day.

As host, Caroline set the theme of a French pique nique. Each person would prepare their own meal and dress their own table, and we would eat at a respectful distance. We turned her front porch into a bistro, sans wait staff.

It was definitely fun, but I really did want a taste off my Epi's plates as the food looked absolutely delicious!  Now I will simply have to make the recipes at home. 

Caroline's crepes were savoury and had a yoghurt sauce in place of bernaise, while Kaarina had prepared a French pressed sandwich called  pan bagnat. Unfortunately Laura wasn't able to join our trio in the sun this time.

Being somewhat pressed for time I ended up curating my plate to create a classic French meal with ingredients from my favourite grocery store, McKewans. This was the first meal that wasn't home-cooked in several months and I appreciated every bite. Grilled salmon on top of salad nicoise with a Normandy camembert, and fizzy lemonade on the side. I packed everything into a cooler so it was wonderfully chilled when served. The green beans were expertly blanched so they were tender but firm, the hard boiled yolk held no traces of green to proclaim an overdone egg, the salmon with its picture perfect grill marks.

Eventually things will return to normal and we can have a real feast again, but until then I look forward to our next meet, whether it is virtual or enjoyed at a distance.

I do savour time spent in this company.





No comments: