Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Succulents and natives

I was so intrigued by the native prickly pear I wanted one for my garden. I've seen them in the neighbourhood, and Alex has them too, so I know they survive our cold winters.

Last fall I planted two and they came back nicely. Being an impatient gardener, I picked up a larger one on a visit to a farmer's market in Wolfe Island.

I planted some annual porticulata. A friend told me they would self-seed in her childhood garden. I hope that's the case, although it will serve nicely as an annual.

Then surprise! What I thought was a ground cover  'sedum' came into flower. Google images recognizes it as an ice plant succulent. I remember planting one of those a few years ago, it must have rejuvenated after I cleared out some of the lamb's ears in its way. The ice plant is a succulent native to Africa, but it  looks right at home nestled beside the prickly pear.

I also picked up some native Hairy Beardstongue - or Penstemon Hirsutus - at the TMG plant swap to keep them company. The Beardstongue also self-seeds.

In my haste to establish these I may have mistakenly removed the Pearly Everlasting I planted last fall. oops






No comments: