Sunday, September 29, 2019

Epitourists: Boat Food

Caroline hosted the September Epitourist lunch... on her new boat!!! A beautiful trawler Mainship called Ruby Tuesday.

In keeping with the venue, the theme was 'Boat Food.' In past years, I've really gotten into preparing meals on the boat, including sprouting my own greens, growing herbs on board, making roti by hand, and even packing the pressure cooker on board to experiment with exotic fare. Lots of barbecues. Past Notes from the Galley help with future planning.

Rob and I actually didn't fire up the boat barbecue once the entire cruising holiday in August. This year, my favourite new boat meal was Steak with Ginger Butter Sauce, easy to prep in the cast iron frying pan on a rainy day.

Even when I have my cooking mojo working for me, I appreciate the ease of pulling together an appealing plate without needing to turn on the stove or fire up the barbecue. Especially if Rob and I are Yondering for a ten hour day, or have just dropped anchor after a long sail, I'm glad to have some cold cured meats, cheese, crackers, nuts and pickles for a refreshing quick bite.

So for my course, I chose a charcuterie board. As this was the Epitourists, I provisioned at St. Lawrence Market, with stops at Scheffler's Deli, Future Bakery, and Kozlik's mustards, to pull together a charcuterie platter: saucisson (truffle and blueberry); salami (hot and not); provolone wrapped in sundried tomato; prosciutto wrapped feta; marcona almonds; pickled garlic, onions and mixed vegetable; hot gherkins; roasted artichoke; pretzels; and a selection of mustards (dijon, honey mustard, balsamic fig and date, triple crunch).

To accompany, a quick cocktail with lots of ice: Whisky Soda. Rob mixed one of these for me at the end of a hot day, and it instantly became a summer favourite.

I did take a little bit of heat from fellow Epitourists for not cooking or even sous-chef-ing, but couldn't resist selecting this as my boat food course. I'll cook next time.

No comments: