Wednesday, March 18, 2020

March Mahem

The Epitourists got together on March 1 at my place for a Vegetarian-themed feast. Rob and I went out to see Bradford Marsalis at Koerner on March 6. I was heading off to work as per usual.

Then Covid headlines started hitting closer to home.

It got to the point that I was definitely not comfortable taking the crowded TTC, with everyone jammed so close, people wearing masks, others coughing. There were a few terrorists, too - like the one guy that came bursting through the subway doors with a bellowing cough, mouth wide open and laughing, talking to his friend in Korean, no doubt making a joke about how all the racists were terrified.

My employer still wasn't making any announcements or accommodations about working from home, so I elected to make a quick dash to the office in on Friday the 13th to pick up my laptop and then call in sick. The next day, a Saturday, my manager called me at home with the news we were now mandated to work remotely until April 3.

So many closures and cancellations announced all at once. All the plans I'd made for the merry month of May: Canada Blooms, Canada Reads, BPYC St. Patrick's Day, Heliconian, book club, Uke Jam.

Grocery stores running out of toilet paper, hand sanitizer, canned goods, as people started to panic. Thankfully our pantry is pretty well stocked.

Rob and I are both working from home right now, tucked in separate rooms and attending to business.

Poor Rob! The last few weeks of his career working from home and his retirement parties cancelled, the stock market crashing. A rather abrupt transition to an uncertain future.

So far, I'm enjoying working from home, but it is just Day 4. Not missing the commute whatsoever. My day-to-day will change drastically as it looks like I will be working closely with a team from the Ministry of Health regarding some supply chain issues. Happy to be of service but wondering what it will entail over the next few weeks or months.

And it could be months before getting back to 'normal' as now predictions have been extended to impacts that will continue to be felt until the summer months.

I haven't seen anyone other than Rob face to face since March 12. Right now I have very minimal symptoms of achey-ness, runny nose. Could be allergies but best to play it safe, just in case, so self imposed quarantine.

Taking it a day at a time. Going for daily walks, continuing my yoga and meditation practice, filing my taxes, catching up on my reading, lots of tv. There have also been some virtual events for a bit of fun, such as the Choir Choir Social Destanc-Sing-Sing-Along. The Centre for Mindfulness Studies has a free virtual meditation session at noon. Keeping in touch with family and friends via email and apps and good old-fashioned phone calls.

Enjoying the fresh tulips Rob has replenished, and the blooming oxalys.





No comments: