Thursday, August 29, 2019

Such stuff as dreams are made of

Wow! Even though I knew it would be tough, I still underestimated the challenges of emptying out the basement to prepare for the reno.

So much stuff! But of such stuff dreams are made. Stuff is really not the dream or hope itself, as much as we mistake. But stuff takes time and effort to acquire, takes up physical space, has to be paid for, and eventually disposed.

It was tempting to just throw all the stuff in the trash, but we tried to avoid the landfill. Some stuff was sold on kijiji: two couches, a display case. Gently used stuff went to the Salvation Army, trunk load after trunk load. Stuff like financial papers and old documents was burned and shredded. Bags and bags of stuff still ended up curbside as garbage.

I still don’t want to throw away the films I made in college, even though access to a 16mm projector is something that would take some effort to arrange. After agonizing over whether to keep the stereo and vinyl records we eventually decided to find a reseller. It was too hard to get rid of all the videotapes I produced early in my career, and copies of CDs and magazines I’d written or produced, so I kept a smattering.

Boxes and boxes are packed in the room we’ve converted to temporary storage, awaiting the end of the basement reno: future photos for editing, pantry goods, kitchen appliances….

Other items we donated to the Furniture Bank (finally!). The pretty cherry wood antique sofa we reupholstered ourselves (three times over 25 years), such a nice little piece. An old chest of drawers. An old office chair. A kitchen table. Also my grandfather’s desk, just a humble pressboard, mass produced item I can clearly remember him sitting at, worrying over bills and writing checks. I used it myself for decades when writing university papers, working at home, and paying my own bills. I envision it being well-used, maybe by a refugee trying to perfect their English skills or by a working mother stealing time to write her poetry.

After all the work to clear the space I’m inspired to tackle decluttering in other rooms, and the last thing I want to do is window shop for more stuff or items I don’t really need.

Perhaps it is time, too, to dust off some of the dreams piled high over decades. Thank the aspirations of childhood, adolescence, early adulthood, and choose anew.


No comments: