Monday, January 5, 2009

Back to Work

First day back at work in the new year. Felt unusually long for some reason. Must be Christmas-cookie-withdrawal.

Before I left today I put a roast into the slow cooker and by the time I came home, it was ready. Just needed a few sides to make a complete meal.

A few months ago I purchased 4 briskets from 'Fresh from the Farm,' a butcher that offers hormone-free meats delivered from Mennonite Farms. Then I prepared and froze them for later... sure makes cooking after a full day's work a little easier.

I do quite a bit of batch cooking, some recipes are better than others. This one is great!


Pot Roast with Apples - 4 Meals

4 Beef Pot Roasts (3-4 pounds)
1 Tbsp salt
2 tsp pepper
2 tsp ginger
2 tsp ground cloves
12 apples
4 cups of sliced onion
2 cups of apple cider
+
4 Zipper Bags (large)

1.
Label Bags- Pot Roast with Apples
Slow Cooker (5-6 hours on high or 9-10 hours on low)
Oven 2.5 hours covered at 350 F
Defrost before cooking.

2.
Place a roast into each large zipper bag.

3.
Combine remaining ingredients and distribute evenly among all bags. Remove excess air, seal bags and freeze.

- from the book, The Big Cook

No comments: