Thursday, December 30, 2021

Ready. Set. Go?

I'm considering delaying my retirement even further due to Covid, torturing myself with should I stay or should I go. It reminds me of sailing, with storms on the horizon, staying in port until more favourable weather comes.

How bad is the storm, how much longer will it last? Should I just reset my sails?

Maybe change the destination.

I am very thankful my employer  and colleagues are understanding and tolerating my indecision.

I wake in the morning and my first thoughts are to go, but then my rational mind starts working to keep me on the job. Security in uncertain times.

I had a certain scenario in mind... retire, head out to Costa Rica for 6 weeks, come back and settle in to a new beginning. 

Life is what happens when you are making other plans.

Reality now is risky travel, Covid variants, restricted gatherings, cancelled concerts.

But it has also been comfy times at home, yoga, virtual gatherings.

Retirement will mean more time to do the things I love. Popping in on friends who are also not working, shopping during off hours, long walks in the afternoon to no place in particular. 

Kurt Vonnegut — 'Enjoy the little things in life because one day you`ll look back and realize they were the big things.'

No comments: