Friday, November 5, 2021

Happy Diwali!


As the daylight hours are getting shorter, being able to celebrate Diwali - the festival of lights - is comforting. This is the first year we've celebrated at Alex and Penny's house, and a pleasure to partake as they make a fusion of their own rituals and traditions for their lives together.

It was the first time I got to try my hand at rangoli.

Rangoli is an art form originating in the Indian subcontinent, in which patterns are created on the floor or a tabletop using materials such as powdered lime stone, red ochre, dry rice flour, coloured sand, quartz powder, flower petals, and coloured rocks Wikipedia

It was very tactile, setting the  powders in place and tracing the edges with my fingers. 

Sweets! candles! fireworks!

Amita brought some tasty dishes, and I prepared a few of my own (mattar paneer, pani-puri). The table was set with linens and sliverwear from my mom; but we also enjoyed eating with our fingers in the Indian fashion.



Pani-puri


No comments: