Monday, March 1, 2021

Multi-tasking


If March 1 is any indication, it will be a busy month! 

That night I had to choose between attending the Council of Commodores, a yoga class, or a Uke Jam Watch party.

Linda D., our commodore, had invited me to tag along to hear the news from yacht clubs around the lake. 30+ clubs were represented on the call, including clubs from our Basin Federation (Highland, Cathedral, SBSC) and some reciprocal favourites (RCYC, QCYC). Very interesting to learn about the common challenges and how various clubs were addressing launch in the time of Covid. At this point in time it sounds like most are opting for a full launch. Lots of camaraderie in the group. I kept mixing up my chat function and sent private messages to Linda intended for all and embarrassingly,  private messages intended for Linda to all. No harm done except to my pride.

The Uke Jam Watch party featured an online collaboration I'd been part of, so I was sorry to miss the debut with everyone but I was able to go back and watch it later to enjoy comments.

Yoga was recorded too, so I could go back and take the class at my convenience.

Interesting that this online life is leading to asynchronous multi-tasking. It's so convenient that events are recorded to revisit later, a very useful option, even though it is not quite the same as being there to take part as things unfold. 

For the Watch party, I was able to fast forward through to portions that were of more interest. Efficient, yes, but not quite a common, shared experience.

No comments: