Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Canada Blooms

The smell and the colours were so rejuvenating at Canada Blooms, I really can't wait for gardening season to begin.

I went for an early morning tour, before the hoards arrived, with Nicki.

Unfortunately our guide hadn't been given notes so wasn't particularly informed about the garden designs on display, although as a master gardener she was certainly able to answer any horticulture queries. Oh, so that wasn't forced hydrangea after all, it was kale that had just been left to flower.

The big exhibits aren't really ever my favourite, anyway, such large spaces and huge investments in hardscaping patios, decks and pools there is often hardly any garden left for green.

The displays on cliff gardening as well as fusion landscapes had elements I'd like to incorporate in my backyard. Also living walls and pictures have strong potential for fall and winter months - but where would I place them in tiny quarters? Could I fit in a  backyard sauna?

Lots of water features caught my eye, some almost Goldsworthy cairns, and I am sorely tempted but the sticker price is $5K+.

There were more practical displays with ideas for small spaces, like front stoops or urban backyards. Gorgeous birdhouses with stained glass windows, inspiration to plant for pollinators and to choose natives.

Handily enough I learned that Sheridan does have sheets of moss early in the season. I will have to call to see if they offer the Irish type and if not, may attempt using fertilizer for a growth spurt - it's really something I don't ever do, though, garden with chemicals.

For the ravine, at the top of the hill, I have my eye on service berry, to help attract the birds. The shrub will grow to 15 feet, which is just what I'm looking for... something not too big that will do ok in dappled shade, and attract birds throughout the year.

A fantastic demo on flower arranging! The way Kate from Kate's Garden brought together key concepts was very useful. Preparation
of materials definitely helps prolong the life of the floral design.  Key is getting flowers into water as soon as possible, using clean materials to do any cutting, and adding nutrients to water. Mindful proportion in design (1/3 + 2/3; 50/50; 2/3 + 1/3). As well as techniques like bunching, tying, and deconstructing. I picked up some accessories afterward, including underwater lights and floating clear flower bases for water design. Picked up some faux ranunculus, perfect for the vase, or for practising spiral tying, or using to embellish an individual table place setting.

I chose a new vase - one for single buds. Still, I want more! A large round clear glass one for a peony, a tall cylinder for deconstructed arrangements. I will have to choose carefully as one new thing in the house means one old thing out the door.

I dragged home a nice big green plant for the corner, a Lyrata. I wondered if a tropical would do well in my living room without direct sun and it turns out this one is an understory plant that likes indirect light. I love the glossy foliage. This plant is also known as a fiddle leaf ficus. It promises to grow. I promise to find it a pot.


No comments: